Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Purple Shirt

Yesterday I wore my lucky shirt. Let's call it purple. Somehow this shirt has become a magical talisman of confidence and luck. Who am I to argue with that?

When I wear Purple Shirt I burn with the charisma and power of a thousand suns! Nothing can go wrong, thanks to Purple Shirt.

People encountering Purple Shirt have only two choices: to submit, or to flee.

Chuck Norris doesn't wear a purple shirt. Purple Shirt wears Chuck Norris.

Often Purple Shirt will cause: fire alarms to ring; cats to deliver kittens; moonpies to eclipse; spontaneous tromboning; hedgehog arbitrage; and baloney sandwiches to become prosciutto on rye.

It got me thinking about other talisman-like objects in some of my favorite stories. Sylvester had his magic pebble; Boy had his one small blue bead; Frodo had ... well, we all know what he had.

What value is there is bringing an object into a story; an object which then becomes so meaningful that it's essentially its own character?

4 comments:

Babs said...

It is faith that does that. And, by the way...how about a picture of that infamous purple shirt??

Sam said...

Is this an old icebreaker shirt...that olivey green teal one? Or is that hot pink NKOTB (New Kids on the Block) shirt you always wear...?

Anonymous said...

Please, please tell me that the pink NKOTB shirt has a collar that is permanently "popped" up.

S R Wood said...

New Kids on the ... HEY! Yes, the collar is so popped up that it doesn't fit on a normal hanger.