Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Enough Is Enough

That's about long enough without a post. Sheesh, you'd think I was doing other things with my time!

What I've been doing is revising, revising, revising, revising, revising, revising, revising, revising. The plan is to revise Book #2 while the rough draft of Book #3 is "resting." This way when I return to #3 I'll be objective enough to see the flaws and any (accidental) successes.

Meanwhile, once #2 is ready I'll start another querying cycle. I've never figured out why it's difficult to query agents -- something about actually launching oneself toward one's dreams, maybe -- but it is frustrating not to have ANY queries out there. So: soon.

And then, it's back to Book #1, the one I wrote to see if I could write a book. Turns out I could, and re-immersing myself in that story not only might help me see if it's worth reworking, but will also be a great way to distance myself from #2 and #3, which are, after all, related.

And in all of this sweaty and unrewarding work, the burning eyes and clenched neck and feeling of staleness, I step outside into the singing summer darkness and think: there are stories out there. Everywhere. If I have the wild audacity to try to pluck them unbruised from the air then I should at least have the courage of my convictions and get back to work. To work.

1 comment:

Babs said...

Amazing perseverance! Now if you could bottle that and sell each bottle for a dollar, you'd be sittin' pretty.